- Aim to arrive 15 minutes before your appointment.
- You must attend the appointment for your visa application. You cannot send someone in your place.
- Only applicants, caregivers and those accompanying children under 18 years are permitted to enter the Visa Application Centre.
- Bring a printed copy of your visa application, as well as a valid passport or travel document with at least 2 pages that are blank on both sides.
- Bring all supporting documentation (originals and copies)
- You will pay your fees once you get to the center.
- At the center, you will also need to submit your fingerprints and photograph. This is known as biometric information collection. A digital finger scanner collects images of all 10 digits, and you will have a digital photo taken. The digital fingerprint scanner uses no inks, liquids or chemicals and will not mark your skin.
- Your digital photograph must be taken with full face and without sunglasses or tinted spectacles, or head covering unless it is worn for religious or medical reasons. Your face should be clearly visible with no hair across the eyes.
- If you miss your appointment on the scheduled day, you will need to book a new appointment.
What happens at the Visa Application Centre
On the day of your appointment:
Without biometrics information, your visa application will not be processed.
- Your fingerprint scan and facial scan will be captured.
- A digital fingerprint scanner will collect images of all 10 fingers, and at the same time a digital photo will be captured. This is a quick, discreet and non-intrusive process.
- Your digital photograph must show your full face. You cannot wear sunglasses, tinted spectacles, or a head covering unless it is worn for religious or ethical reasons.
- If you have temporary injuries on your fingers, you’re advised to wait until your injuries have healed.
- Ensure your fingertips are free from any forms of temporary body decoration like mehndi as it interferes with the working of the scanner.
- Applicants who are under 12 do not need to submit full biometric data, but will need to have a facial photograph.
- For an applicant between the ages of 12 and 18, a parent or legal guardian will be asked to give consent and be present when fingerprints are collected.
- Once the fingerprints have been collected, you are in general not required to re-submit them for the next 59 months. In that case, you need to prove that your fingerprints were taken (provide a copy of the visa at the application for which your fingerprints were taken, or the form informing about the refusal of such an application), otherwise you can request that your fingerprints are collected again.
Exemptions to Biometrics
You will be exempted from the obligation of biometric data (fingerprints) if:
- You are under 5 year of age.
- The collection of fingerprints is physically impossible for you. If you are unable to provide a fingerprint scan, you’ll have to provide a medical certificate to support their claim.
- You are Head of State and member of the national Governments (with your official delegations and spouses) and are travelling for official purposes.
- Children less than 12 years of age
- Applicants that prove that they received a Schengen visa in the last 5 years(-)1month, then they can leave the center without undergoing biometrics.
In the interest of safety and security, we reserve the right to conduct random bag searches of applicants and visitors.
Our staff have the right to work without fear of abuse or intimidation. Threatening or abusive words or behavior towards our staff will not be tolerated under any circumstances.