All citizens of Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central Africa, Chad, Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo are required to apply for a visa before entering Finland and/or other countries under the Schengen agreement.
Before applying, please ensure you understand your particular ‘purpose of visit’. Schengen visas must be applied for at the respective Embassy/Consulate of the country of your main destination. Your main destination will be the Schengen country where your duration of stay exceeds all others. Due to this, when traveling to more than one Schengen country, you should submit your application to the Embassy/Consulate representing the country of your main destination. In case of equal stay, one has to submit their application to the mission of the Schengen country representing their first port of entry.
Finland Visa Application Centre in Nigeria accepts applications for short stay visas only. A passport should be valid for at least three (3) months beyond the intended stay in Finland and there should be at least two (2) empty pages available in the passport.
Click on the other tabs on this page to view more information about the visa application process.
Category VISA FEES (EURO) VISA FEES (NAIRA) Schengen visa (age 12 years and above) EUR 80 Naira 33,435 Children, ages 6–11 (unless otherwise stated in the Visa Facilitation Agreement) EUR 40 Naira 16,720 Children, 0 to 5 years old EUR 0 Naira 0.00 Schengen visa for citizens of the following countries (by the Visa Facilitation Agreement):
- Russian Federation
Regarding countries with visa facilitation agreement, please check current visa fee from your local visa application center or Mission
EUR 35 Naira 14,630 Cape Verde EUR 80 Naira 33,435
Methods of payment for visa fees:
If the applicant submits their visa application at the Finland Visa Application Centre:
- Cash or POS payment at the Finland Visa Application Centre on the day of appointment. Visa Fee and service charge are paid at Bank Implant inside VFS Centre. Kindly carry the 1st page Passport photocopy while paying the service fee and the visa fee at the bank.
- Advance payment to the Embassy of Finland in Abuja bank account (Please click here)
- Service charge applicable when applying at the Finland Visa Application Centre:
- Applicants under the Directive 2004/38/EC
- Family members of Finnish citizen
- Diplomatic and official passport holders
- School pupils, students, post graduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or educational training - TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
- Researchers travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research - TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
Representatives of non-profit organisations, aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events by non-profit organisations – TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
If the applicant submits their visa application at the Embassy of Finland in Abuja:
Applicants exempted from visa fee:
Service charge applicable when applying at the Finland Visa Application Centre:
TYPE EURO NAIRA VFS Service fee 30 12,540
- *Please note that the service fee is inclusive of VAT
- Applicants may choose to pay at the Visa Application Centre using Credit/Debit Card or make the payment by cash. Original proof of payment must be received with the visa application. The passport number of the applicant must be clearly stated as reference on the proof of payment.
- Special note for all applicants applying at the Visa Application Centre:
- The applicable visa fees in Naira depend on the current exchange rate, which can be changed without any notifications
- The visa fees need to be paid in cash at the Visa Application Centre.
- Applicants who are exempted from the visa fees need to pay only the service fee
- The fees are non-refundable and non-transferable
The checklists of required visa application documents are available in the online visa application portal of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
To see the visa application photo specifications, please, click here.
Travel Medical Insurance
Each applicant (including children) must have a travel medical insurance. Exceptions are applicants under the directive 2004/38/EC and family members of citizens of Finland as well as holders of diplomatic and official passports.
Basic requirements for an insurance policy:
- Insurance should cover the entire intended duration of stay in the Schengen area.
- Insurance validity area should cover the whole Schengen area or to be worldwide. No area restrictions are allowed (for example “Finland, Schengen”).
- The insurance coverage limit should be not less than 30.000 euros or equivalent amount in other currency (for example 12,650,000 Naira)
- The insurance policy should insure your costs in case of sudden illness or accident and assistance on site, including the costs of medical repatriation to the place of permanent residence of the insured person or the repatriation in case of death.
Original or copy insurance policy needs to be presented during submission; applicant can provide a copy to the application (the Mission does not return documents after application has been processed).
Travel medical insurances can be bought from any approved insurance company by the Finland Embassy, Please click here to know the list of approved insurance companies
An applicant for multiple-entry visa should provide an insurance policy which covers at least the first trip. The applicant undertakes to purchase an insurance policy for further trips by signing the visa application.
The processing of the application takes up to 15 calendar days, but can take longer if the application is not complete or when further scrutiny of the application is needed. Please note that all applications are processed individually. The Embassy may request further documentation and information or you may be called for an interview which can prolong the processing time.
Please note that as per the Article 23 of regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a Community code on Visas (Visa Code) the period of consideration of your visa application by the respective Consular authority may be extended up to a maximum of 30 calendar days. Exceptionally, when additional documentation is needed in specific cases, the period may be extended up to a maximum of 45 calendar days.
An application filled incorrectly and carelessly can cause delay or denial of a visa. Submitting all the required documents when submitting the visa application will speed up the processing time. The applicant may be asked to supply additional details, e.g. a more detailed plan of trip. The visa application will be decided on without the requested documents and the decision may be to the applicant’s disadvantage, if requested documents are not submitted to the Finland Visa Application Centre or the Finnish Embassy by the date agreed.
Embassy of Finland will return processed passports to the Finland Visa Application Centre. The applicants may subscribe for a Courier Service at the time of application submission or collect the documents from the Finland Visa Application Centre where they applied, when their processed passport is ready for collection.
Please Click here to get information about your Schengen visa.